With this page:
Bear Hunting License
To look for bear before the firearms period on deer, a legitimate hunting permit and a bear license is necessary. The cost with this license is:
- Residents $27.00*
- Non-Residents $74.00* (this license covers the bear hunting season that is entire
- Non-Resident Later Season Allow $40*
In case a non-resident wishes to hunt bear through the regular firearms period on deer just, a bear that is late-season license and a legitimate hunting permit is necessary.
To trap for bear, a trapping license and bear trapping permit is necessary. See Trapping Laws to get more information
Qualified landowners may hunt bear by themselves land without a large game permit, but they are expected to have legitimate bear searching license. See unique landowner privileges.
Bait can be put thirty day period before the bear searching with bait period with no later than 31 october. Bait areas must certanly be washed up by November 10. Bait can help help dog hunters and trappers, however it is illegal to shoot a bear over bait after the close of this bait period.
Searching by using bait is described as hunting from an observation stand, blind, or any other location that overlooks any bait or meals, except standing plants and meals which were kept due to normal agricultural operations or normal event.
Bear bait means any animal, plant, or derivative thereof, utilized to attract bear. This doesn’t consist of container or packaging materials that fall in the definition of litter under Title 17, В§2263.
An individual may well not spot any medicinal, poisonous, or stupefying substance to entice any animal, including bear.
Bait may possibly not be put to entice, hunt or trap black colored bear unless:
- The bait is positioned at the very least 50 yards from any travel method that is available by a regular 2-wheel or drive vehicle that is 4-wheel
- The observation stand, blind, or bait area is clearly labeled with a 2 inch by 4 inches label with all the title and target regarding the baiter
- The bait is positioned a lot more than 500 yards from any solid waste disposal web site or campground
- The bait is put significantly more than 500 yards from an occupied dwelling, unless written authorization is given by the owner or tenant
- Anyone hunting from someone else’s stand or blind has got the owner’s authorization.
- Anyone putting bait on someone else’s land gets the landowner’s permission (oral or on paper).
- If putting bait on a wildlife administration area, you need to secure a license from MDIFW. To utilize for a bear baiting allow, contact the wildlife biologist in your administrative area.
- If putting bait on Public Reserved Land, you will need to secure a license through the Bureau of Parks and Lands (for information, call 207-287-3821).
Baiting of animals is forbidden in State Parks and Historic web web Sites.
Legal Hunting Gear
Bear could be taken by utilization of rifle, handguns, muzzleloader, shotguns (with slugs just and never larger than 10 measure), bow and arrow (with a minimal draw fat of 35 lbs.) or crossbow (with the absolute minimum draw fat of 100 lbs.). The employment of a firearms with .17 or .22 caliber rimfire cartridges, or even a shotgun with shotloads to hunt bear is forbidden.
Bear Hunting Prohibitions
Someone cannot, within 50 yards of the baitsite and without written authorization fromthe one who maintains the bait web web web site:
- look, trap, molest, or harass bear
- to produce dog or dogs to hunt bear
- train dogs on bearIt is illegal to hunt bear, or launch dogs for the function, within 500 yards of a waste disposal site that is solid
It really is illegal to hunt bear, or release dogs for that function, within 500 yards of the waste disposal site that is solid
Searching with Dogs
It really is illegal to:
- usage dogs to hunt bear throughout the available firearm period on deer
- usage significantly more than 6 dogs at any one time for you to look for bear
- destroy or wound a bear this is certainly treed or held at bay by another individuals dog or dogs unless you have actually permission through the individual performing the search
Someone may well not hunt bear after having killed one by hunting that can not trap bear after having killed one by trapping, throughout the season that is open of calendar 12 months. An individual may destroy and register two bears, one by searching and one by trapping.
Bear Hunting having a Maine Guide
Nonresidents must employ, and search into the existence of, a resident Maine guide so that you can hunt bear with dogs. In the event that nonresident is an authorized Maine guide, they may hunt bear with dogs on their own, and could guide residents, but cannot guide nonresidents.
The sum total quantity of consumers with a guide that is licensed not go beyond five.
Laws Regarding Registration
Just before registration, bears are chop up for simplicity of transport, but all components ( with the exception of the viscera and rib cage) needs to be presented as well as in such a way that the intercourse associated with the animal could be determined.
Present bear will need to have each component demonstrably labeled with all the title and target of the individual whom registered the pet while the 12 months by which it had been registered.
Note: Hunters have to eliminate a premolar tooth from the bear they harvest and supply the enamel at enrollment (guidelines offered by the enrollment place). Hunters will likely to be notified associated with the chronilogical age of the bear they harvested from the Bear Hunting web page associated with the MDIFW site before the start of bear that is next period (belated August).
For informative data on buying, attempting to sell or bartering pets, see Prohibition Selling that is regarding of Animals.
For informative data on tracking wounded bear, deer or moose with dogs, see Leashed Dog monitoring License.
2020 Bear Hunting Seasons and Bag Limits
|period||Dates||day-to-day Bag & Possession Limit|
|General Hunting||August 31 – November 28, 2020||2 might be taken yearly – 1 by hunting, 1 by trapping|
|Hunting with Dogs||September 14 – October 30, 2020|
|Hunting with Bait Bait could be put August 1, 2020||August 31 – September 26, 2020|
|Trapping||September 1 – October 31, 2020|
|Youth Bear Day||August 29, 2020|
All times are inclusive except that searching is forbidden on Sunday.
See Laws related to Hunting gear for home elevators making use of crossbows. Additional information on Bear Trapping.